1 Peter 3:11 Turn away from evil, and do good.
Look for peace, and go after it.
Psalm 46:10 Be still and Know that I am God
35 When evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." 36 They left the crowd behind. And they took him along in a boat, just as he was. There were also other boats with him.
37 A wild storm came up. Waves crashed over the boat. It was about to sink. 38 Jesus was in the back, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him up. They said, "Teacher! Don't you care if we drown?"
39 He got up and ordered the wind to stop. He said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down. And it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Don't you have any faith at all yet?"
41 They were terrified. They asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"
Fruit Association - Watermelon (a piece of - get it?)
- Make a boat out of a watermelon rind to act out the story
- Watermelon coloring page - http://www.coloring.ws/fru
- Paper Plate Watermelon - A paper plate watermelon makes a decorative, colorful craft for any bulletin board, wall or refrigerator. This simple craft only requires a white paper plate (preferably with a non-glossy finish), red and green paint, watermelon seeds and glue. The outer edge of the paper plate will be painted green to represent the watermelon rind, while the rest of the plate will be painted red. Once the paint has dried completely, glue watermelon seeds onto the red portion, or "flesh" of the watermelon to complete the paper plate watermelon; a great activity for ages 3 and older.
- Watermelon Seed Mosaic -Kids of all ages (as well as adults) can show their creative side by creating a mosaic with watermelon seeds. Any type of base can be used, including cardboard, construction paper and foam board, or serious crafters may choose to use canvas. Glue watermelon seeds onto the base to create designs, themes or abstract pictures. Draw shapes or designs for younger children and allow them to glue seeds following the outline provided.
- Watermelon Seed Music Makers - Kids love noise makers and will enjoy making these watermelon seed music makers. Begin by taking a white paper plate and either color or paint the outside rim (underneath side) green and the rest red. Fold the paper plate in half with the colored side on the outside. Staple the edges of the plate halfway around the plate to seal. Add enough watermelon seeds to make noise when shaken and then staple the rest of the way to seal completely.
A symbol of peace is a Dove so here are some dove crafts -
- Paper Peace Doves (assoc with MLK day but disregard that part for this!) - http://tlc.howstuffworks.c
This is probably going to sound "new age" but this can also be part of spiritual disciplines. Spending time sitting with our kids and calming ourselves in order to have peace. You can't have peace and be hectic. Deep breathing, calming our bodies and then praying and listening to God. "Be Still and Know that I am God" is a great verse to remind us of this.
Another thing is Forgiveness - You can not have peace with others when you have issues between you. Working on forgiving those that wrong us this week would be great as a way to discuss peace.
- 3D fruit craft - http://www.enchantedlearni
- Sing "Be Still and Know that I am God"
- Videos - VeggieTales "God wants me to Forgive Them",